Get Your Bartending License In Australia

What is a ‘bartending license’?

In the world of bartending, the term ‘bartending license’ is sometimes used, but in Australia, this certification is known as the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course.

Obtaining an RSA is the first essential step for anyone aspiring to be a bartender in Australia.

It equips you with the knowledge and responsibility to serve alcohol legally and safely.

Understanding the RSA

What is the RSA?

The RSA is a mandatory certificate for anyone wishing to legally sell, serve, or supply alcohol in licensed premises across Australia. It’s a crucial step for anyone looking to work as a bartender or in a similar role within the hospitality industry.

Why Do You Need an RSA?

  • Legal Requirement: To work legally in any establishment that serves alcohol, an RSA is essential.
  • Knowledge and Responsibility: The RSA course educates on responsibly serving alcohol, identifying underage or intoxicated patrons, and the legal implications of serving alcohol.
  • Avoiding Fines: Serving alcohol without an RSA can lead to significant fines for both the individual and the establishment.

Where Can You Complete an RSA?

Most states allow completion of the RSA online, offering convenience and flexibility.

Make sure to choose a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) which is accredited and recognised by relevant authorities.

Choosing the Right Training Organisation

Avoid Unaccredited Courses: Be cautious of offers that seem too good to be true, as there are fraudulent providers in the market.

Verify RTO Status: Ensure the organisation is an accredited RTO.

Check Course Recognition: The course should be recognised by state liquor and gaming authorities.

Training and Course Details

Course Content Summary

  • Identification of Intoxicated Patrons
  • Legal Aspects of Alcohol Service
  • Responsible Service Techniques

Duration and Cost

  • Typically 3-6 Hours: Depending on the provider and the state requirements.
  • Cost Varies: Usually ranges between $25 and $200, depending on the provider and the mode of training.

State-Specific Requirements

  • Varied Regulations: Each Australian state has slightly different requirements for RSA certification.
  • State-Specific Courses: Ensure the course is valid in the state where you intend to work.

Developing a Career in Bartending

  • Beyond RSA: Consider additional courses like cocktail making to enhance your skills.
  • Career Paths: Explore different trajectories in the hospitality industry, from management roles to specialised bartending skills.

Key Takeaways

  • RSA is Mandatory: For legally serving alcohol in Australia.
  • Flexible Training Options: Available both online and in-person.
  • Career Development: The RSA opens doors to various career opportunities in the hospitality sector.

Whether you’re just starting or looking to advance in the hospitality industry, the RSA is your foundational block.

Remember, responsible service is not just a legal obligation; it’s a commitment to the safety and enjoyment of your patrons.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *